Search This Blog

Thursday, August 13, 2015

DC COMICS: BOMBSHELLS #1

Knowing full well that I no longer purchase the company's books, one of my connections at DC Comics sent me a care package containing (among other items) DC COMICS: BOMBSHELLS #1, noting emphatically that "You will fucking LOVE this." They were absolutely right. This 1940-set retro-fest casts assorted DC females in the mold of the 1940's pinup art aesthetic while gearing them more as alluring adventure pulp types rather than just Elvgren-styled eye candy, and the result is a hell of a lot of fun. The script is engaging, the art is excellent across the board, and I really enjoyed how the story made it clear that detective Maggie Sawyer and Kate Kane, aka the mysterious and amusingly-literal Batwoman, are lovers while avoiding any prurient exploitation of that aspect. In short, this is worth your $3.99 and I hope it sticks around for a while with the same creative team.

No comments: