Search This Blog

Monday, March 28, 2011

SPARTACUS LOVE-FEST AT THE WHITE CASTLE

So I went to the ultra-ghetto White Castle in the Fulton Mall area on Saturday afternoon and the place was staffed by the usual crew of uncouth layabouts who often serve the burgers cold or get your order wrong, thus forcing you to wait for them to get it right. One of those workers whom I've encountered several times is a woman who easily tips the scales at 350 pounds and looks not unlike a resurrected Mabel King. She's previously acted in a loud, ignorant and obnoxious way that makes me cringe out of embarrassment for the American black race, but the other day while I was waiting on my order, she was chatting with a co-worker about how much she loves the SPARTACUS shows. And I don't mean a casual interest was being expressed; she was hardcore and knew everything about it, especially the first series. I couldn't resist giving the show a shoutout, so I put my fist in the air and yelled "Fuckin' SPARTACUS!" at which the big gal turned around with wide eyes and blurted out "You inta SPARTACUS?" When I answered in the affirmative she went off on the various aspects of the show that she loved, citing in particular the death of Batiatus, which caused her to visibly get fahrklempt and state with a tear in her eye (I shit you not), " I'm sorry...I really felt that one." And when my order came up on the prompter she stopped and asked if the order was mine, and when I said that it was she prepared my order personally (she was on the register and stopped taking orders to go to the prep area and hook me up) and made sure it arrived freshly-made and correct.

The lesson to be learned here is to always let your geek flag fly, because things can turn out sweet as a result.

No comments: