Search This Blog

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A SURFEIT OF DVDs

While laid up sick here in the Vault, I was certainly not at loss for DVD entertainment, but while looking for something to watch I realized I had a growing pillar of flicks and TV shows that I have not yet gotten to. Some I have never seen, while others await a re-watching for purposes of being reviewed here, and that stack includes:
  • FIST OF THE NORTH STAR Vol. 1 (which I can write about in my sleep, but I want to check these new subtitles)
  • TERMINAL ISLAND (the '70's exploitation classic)
  • TRUE LEGEND (a recent HK kung fu opus directed by genius choreographer Yuen Woo Ping)
  • BEETLEJUICE
  • CYBORG 009: LEGEND OF THE SUPER GALAXY (the uncut/subbed version of the 1980 CYBORG 009 reunion film; it's long and dull but very pretty to look at)
  • THE BIG LEBOWSKI: Collector's Edition
  • CLERKS: 10th Anniversary Edition
  • FEMALE SLAVE SHIP (the 1960 Shintoho exploitation classic)
  • OSS 117: LOST IN RIO (sequel to the superb OSS 117-CAIRO: NEST OF SPIES)
  • DARK HARVEST 2: THE MAIZE
  • STRAY CAT ROCK: SEX HUNTER (a classic of Japanese exploitation, starring Meiko Kaji)
  • THE WRESTLER
  • THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (a '70's crime drama starring Robert Mitchum)
  • TRANSPORTER 3
  • HOMICIDAL
  • COME DRINK WITH ME (the 1960's Shaw Brothers kung fu landmark, starring Cheng Pei Pei)
  • SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO (the uncut/subbed first arc of STAR BLAZERS)
  • SPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO 2 (the uncut/subbed second arc of STAR BLAZERS)
  • SEVEN SOLDIERS OF KUNG FU (the sequel to SEVEN BLOWS OF THE DRAGON)
  • RETURN OF THE ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN (the sequel to the seminal Shaw Brothers film that codified many of kung fu cinema's tropes)
  • TITUS (Julie Taymor's take on Shakespeare's bloodiest work)
  • THE SHADOW WHIP (another Cheng Pei Pei classic)
  • EL CID Two-Disc Deluxe Edition
  • THE BATTLE OF PUSSY WILLOW CREEK (a film written, produced and directed by an old friend and schoolmate)
  • CORALINE
  • THE OMEN (original version)
  • THE JUNGLE BOOK (1940's live action version starring Sabu)
So I've got my work cut out for me. Plus I have to get around to reviewing MACHETE. Phew...

2 comments:

Temmere said...

You got the GOOD Come Drink With Me. There was a really crappy edition that came out a few years earlier. Like, so crappy I'm not confident it was even legal.

Mindlesskirby said...

YES!!! THE MAIZE THE MOVIE!!!! HA HA!!!